180 Movie - An Eye Opening Documentary

Friday 12 November 2010

Forgotten: Seventeen and Homeless by Melody Carlson


Struggling 17-year-old high school senior Adele has a secret . . . she's homeless.

With absent parents, overdue rent, and no one to turn to, Adele is forced into the hard, cold world of homelessness. While striving to maintain the pretense of a “normal” life, Adele attempts to finish high school—all the while concealing her secret. Adele enjoys being with the "nice kids" in the church youth group, but she has more in common with the young people who live on the streets. Is she strong enough to keep up the act?

Forgotten, the first book in Carlson's Secrets series, was a very strong book. You don't find a whole lot of YA books about the harsh reality of homelessness.

I've read reviews that said this book was "unrealistic", "doesn't talk about real life", "Can life really change THAT fast?"

Um. That blows my mind. I work with a lot of kids one step away from homelessness. I remember picking up kids from a this terrible motel to take them to church, and seeing a young woman trying to squeeze all her belongings into her trunk. That was all she had left. Her stuff and her car.

I could tell you story after story. But let me get back to the book.

The short summary above really wraps the whole book up. I thought it was written very well, it drew me in from page one. It's my favorite book by Carlson yet. Lots of people said the ending was too abrupt, and I sorta agree. I just didn't want the book to end.

Basically, this is a book you either love or don't like at all. It pinpoints Jesus as our only Savior, and that just rubs some people the wrong way. But for the ones who loved it, it opened their eyes and changed their hearts.


Melody Carlson has published over ninety books for adults, children, and teens, with sales totaling more than two million and many titles appearing on the ECPA Bestsellers List. Several of her books have been finalists for, and winners of, various writing awards, including the Gold Medallion and the RITA Award.

Find the book on:

Website/Blog:

No comments: