180 Movie - An Eye Opening Documentary

Thursday 25 August 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



*Many spoilers will be included in this review. Beware. Read at your own risk.*


My curiosity was too much and I had to pick up a copy of The Hunger Games at the library. The whole idea of being forced to fight to the death is intriguing and a heck of a lot more interesting than a pale, sparkly dude who won't eat ice cream with you.

The beginning was boring. Nothing memorable, nothing too exciting. But when it got to the part where they were drawing names for the Hunger Games, it started to get interesting. It wasn't hard to figure out that they would draw Prim's name. I did like the part when Katniss took her place though.

Let's talk characters real quick. Gale vs Peeta. Who did you like better? I'm with Gale 98%. Peeta was just too...lovestruck? Foxface was definitely one of my favorite female characters. Thresh was also a favorite.

Katniss was an awesome character. She was smart, quick, and strong. Seeing her handle a bow and arrow so well was interesting. I'm used to reading books where the main characters usually use swords when fighting. Instead, I got to see sling shots, spears, and knives.

There is a lot of violence in this book. Twenty-two teens die. I was interested in seeing the movie when it came out until I actually read the book. It's one thing to read about a knife being thrown into someones back, but it is a whole another thing to see it played out on screen. I'm really concerned about how violent the film is going to be. I'm guessing the rating is going to be PG-13.

Peeta and Katniss also do a lot of kissing to make it look like they are in love. Nothing descriptive, you just read stuff like "he pulled me close for a long kiss."

Katniss also stands around naked quite about in this book, like when her prep team is trying to find her something to wear or after the doctors look her over. I kept thinking, Is this really necessary? Just stick some clothes on her already! It added nothing to the story.

All-in-all, it was a good book. Not fabulous, not bad, just good. Most people love this book and I liked it, so if you are looking for a book to read then I recommend it.

What did you think when you read The Hunger Games? Like or dislike? Are the sequels worth reading?

2 comments:

Elf said...

I did like the Hunger Games, but not enough for it to be a favourite. I agree that the parts you mentioned add nothing to the story. I also liked Gale better than Peeta. You probably should read the other ones, but I thought they were not as good. I personally think #1 is best, 3 is second and 2 is not so good, but I have heard different opinions. Everyone I talk to says they like the first one but the others are not so good.

Paris said...

Yeah, it caught my interest enough to read the second one so I might give it a shot if I see it at the library.